Welcome back to Hayward Public Library! We are very happy to announce that beginning Monday, May 3, 2021, HPL's Downtown Library is launching HPL Express, our walk-in service. We will be open to the public with limited occupancy and offer select services. Walk-in services will be offered in two hour sessions, and anyone entering the building will be required to follow all safety protocols including social distancing and mask requirements.
HPL Express Hours:
Day of The Week
|Monday||2:00-4:00 p.m.||5:00-7:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||2:00-4:00 p.m.||5:00-7:00 p.m.|
|Please note: A total of 125 patrons will be allowed in the building during each 2-hour HPL Express session.|
- Self-service check-out of materials and hold pick-ups
- New library cards and payment of charges
- Computer use for a maximum of one hour per day
- Browsing the collection
- Reference assistance
- Self-service copying, scanning, and printing
- Wi-Fi access
Limitations on Available Services:
For the safety of the public and library staff the following additional steps are being taken:
- Limited seating for reading and studying
- Study rooms will remain closed
- Meeting rooms will not be available
- There will be no in-person programming or events. Programs such as storytimes and homework help will remain virtual.
- Toys, puzzles, and games in the Children's Library will not be available.
Safety Rules While Visiting the Library:
Library visitors must follow all current and safety rules issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department Retail and Shopping Center outlets
, as well as all posted signage and verbal instructions from staff, in addition to the following:
- Visitors must enter and exit the building through the garage side entrance.
- Any visitor two years or older must wear appropriately fitting protective face covering/mask.
- Any visitor must follow standard social distancing guidelines within the library or while waiting to enter.
- Eating or drinking are strictly prohibited within the library.
- Sanitizer will be available at the entry and visitors must sanitize their hands on entering the building.
- Please stay home if you are feeling unwell or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms!
Contactless services that will continue at this time: