CONCEPTUAL DEVELOPMENT REVIEW
A Conceptual Development Review is a forum that allows City staff from various departments to analyze a project and provide feedback on potential concerns and suggestions for possible improvements. It is not a prerequisite to formal application submittal nor is it intended to be a substitute for or to supersede the normal development review process. This Conceptual Development Review is intended to provide general feedback on a project proposal prior to application submittal. This development review meeting is not considered a Preliminary Application for purposes of Senate Bill 330.
There is no charge for the first Conceptual Development Review; however, subsequent meetings related to the same project and/or site will be charged at $328 per hour per the City’s Master Fee Schedule.
Benefits to the applicant include:
- A better understanding of submittal requirements and the review process
- Identification of potential project conflicts with City codes and guidelines prior to formal application
- Cost savings, e.g., an opportunity for the applicant to refine drawings prior to formal submittal
- Time savings due to the reduced likelihood of incomplete submittal of the formal application
- Receipt of a general timeline for project processing
- Receipt of City department contact names for submittal assistance
Conceptual Development Review meetings are held Wednesday mornings. Applications received by Tuesday at 12:00 noon will be scheduled for a Conceptual Development Review meeting in two or more weeks to allow staff sufficient review. No “walk-in,” “faxed,” or “e-mailed” applications will be accepted. The applicant and/or the applicant’s representative is strongly encouraged to attend the meeting.
SCOPE OF REVIEW
Comments provided by City staff during the Conceptual Development Review process depend on the amount of information provided by the applicant and may include feedback on the following:
- Consistency with the Hayward 2040 General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, or Other Plans
- Identification of ordinances, standards and policies applicable to the project, such as development standards, municipal code requirements, and guidelines
- Appropriateness of the land use or intensity of development
- General comments from staff related to site layout, circulation, building architecture, and landscaping
- General comments from staff related to engineering, transportation, fire, utility, solid waste, recycling, planning, and building requirements for on-site and off-site improvements.
Conceptual Development Review comments will be e-mailed to the applicant within three business days of the meeting date, and if deemed necessary, the planner will recommend a follow-up meeting between the applicant and City staff. The comments provided in no way guarantee approval of the project and all comments/time frames provided are non-binding and subject to change. Applicant may subsequently submit a Preliminary Application consistent with Senate Bill 330, the Housing Crisis Act of 2019, for eligible residential development projects.
If you have questions about the Conceptual Development Review or the Preliminary Application Review process, please contact a City Planner at (510) 583-4216 or email@example.com.
To view the entire permit and application, download it below.