File a police report

You can complete and submit a police report online for eight types of non-emergency incidents- harassing phone calls, hit and run, lost property, theft, vandalism, vehicle burglary and vehicle tampering.

If the incident is an Emergency please call 9-1-1.

Before using the online reporting system, be aware that the incident must meet the following conditions:

  • Be a non-emergency
  • All incidents must have occurred within the Hayward City limits only (unless the incident involves identity theft) - not in another city, nor in the unincorporated areas of Alameda County, nor on a State freeway.
    - If the incident happened in another city, call the police department in that city. If the incident happened on a State freeway, call the California Highway Patrol office nearest you. If the incident happened in the unincorporated area of Alameda County (Ashland, Castro Valley, Cherryland, Fairmont Terrace, Fairview, Mt. Eden and San Lorenzo) contact the Alameda County Sheriff's Department at 510.667.7721
  • Have no known suspects
    - This means neither you nor someone else knows who did the crime, or that person's location, or the license plate of the vehicle driven by those who committed the crime.
  • Harassing Phone Call - Additional Step Required
    - After filing a report, call AT&T (1.800.348.8727) with the report number and for more instructions.
  • Police reports regarding identify theft may be taken online if the victim lives or works within the city limits OR if there is evidence of the crime occurring within the City of Hayward's limits. You must review the Identity Theft Instructions page (link below) prior to filing your report.

If the non-emergency incident occurred in the Hayward city limits, but does not meet the other conditions listed above, call 510.293.7272.

After completing and submitting the online report:

  • You will get a case number, and be able to print a copy of the report.
  • Your report will be reviewed by a police officer.
  • You may be contacted if further investigation of your case is needed.

File a Police Report

For Identity Theft reports:

English    Spanish

You can also file SUPPLEMENTAL information to a THEFT report for which you have a report number.