The Hayward Police Department’s Community Youth Academy is a week long program offered annually each summer.
This unique opportunity provides students with a greater understanding of the inner workings of a police department, as well as procedures, as taught by the Law Enforcement professionals themselves. The purpose of the academy is to educate the youth on what laws are enforced and their importance, as well as strengthen the relationship between both the community and the Police.
Please note: This course may include exposure to simulated firearms and graphic subject matter.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021 Hayward Police Department Youth Academy!
Open to students grades 8th-12th. Students entering the 8th grade for the 2021-2022 school year are welcome.
Applications due by June 18, 2021
Apply for the Youth Academy Download the Flyer
Class locations will be held in Hayward at:
- Downtown Library (Map)
- Hayward Executive Airport Hangar (Map)
The Academy is presented over five days and covers the following topics:
- Gangs/Destructiveness of gangs
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse and Tobacco – Consequences of underage usage
- Forensics and Crime Scene Investigations
- SWAT Demo
- Traffic and Patrol Operations
- PD Physical Fitness/Obstacle Course
- K-9 Demo
- F.A.T.S. – Fire Arms Training Simulator
- HPD/Jail Tour