Hayward Public Library Reopening Plan
The downtown branch of Hayward Public Library (HPL) will reopen to the public for limited walk-in services on Monday, May 3.
Through the new HPL Express walk-in service, library users will be able to enter the downtown branch during two-hour, limited-capacity sessions and will be required to follow all safety protocols, including social distancing and mask requirements.
Available HPL Express services include self-service check-out of materials and hold pick-ups; new library cards and payment of charges; computer use for a maximum of one hour per day; browsing the collection; reference assistance; self-service copying, scanning and printing; and Wi-Fi access. HPL Express hours at the downtown HPL branch are:
- Monday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
A total of up to 125 patrons will be allowed in the building during each two-hour HPL Express session.
Other ways to use the Hayward Public Library:
HPL to Go:
The Hayward Public Library provides curbside pickup of library materials through a new HPL to Go program.
Through HPL to Go, library users may request items to pick up outside the Downtown Hayward library by going online at https://bit.ly/hpltogo or calling (510) 881-7980 between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Pickup will be available between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday outside of the Downtown Library north entrance between the library and Watkins and Mission streets garage. Pickup for the Weekes Library Branch will be available 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Tuesday and Friday and 1 p.m.- 5 p.m. on Saturday.
COVID-19 safety rules:
Library visitors also must follow all current COVID-19 safety rules issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department for Retail Stores and Shopping Centers, as well as all posted signage and verbal instructions from staff.
- Entering and exiting the building through the garage side entrance
- Wearing appropriately fitting protective face covering/mask required for all visitors two years of age and older
- Observing of social-distancing guidelines within the library or while waiting to enter
- Sanitizing hands upon entering the building
- Staying home if you are feeling unwell or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms
- No eating or drinking within the library