Hayward Public Library reopens May 3 with HPL Express walk-in service, safety protocols
HAYWARD, Calif., April 27, 2021— Hayward Library Director Jayanti Addleman announced today the downtown branch of Hayward Public Library (HPL) will reopen to the public for limited walk-in services on Monday, May 3.
Through the new HPL Express walk-in service, library users will be able to enter the downtown branch during two-hour, limited-capacity sessions and will be required to follow all safety protocols, including social distancing and mask requirements.
Available HPL Express services include self-service check-out of materials and hold pick-ups; new library cards and payment of charges; computer use for a maximum of one hour per day; browsing the collection; reference assistance; self-service copying, scanning and printing; and Wi-Fi access. HPL Express hours at the downtown HPL branch are:
- Monday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
A total of up to 125 patrons will be allowed in the building during each two-hour HPL Express session.
For the safety of the public and library staff, the following additional steps are being taken:
- Seating for reading and studying will be limited
- Study rooms will remain closed
- Meeting rooms will not be available to rent
- Story-times and homework help to remain virtual
- Toys, puzzles and games in the Children’s Library will not be available
Library visitors also must follow all current COVID-19 safety rules issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department for Retail Stores and Shopping Centers, as well as all posted signage and verbal instructions from staff, including:
- Entering and exiting the building through the garage side entrance
- Wearing appropriately fitting protective face covering/mask required for all visitors two years of age and older
- Observing of social-distancing guidelines within the library or while waiting to enter
- Sanitizing hands upon entering the building
- Staying home if you are feeling unwell or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms
- No eating or drinking within the library
For more information, including all contactless, online and virtual services to continue through and outside of the downtown and Weekes branches of HPL, go online here to the HPL website.
Download the full News Release.