Save water with these drought-conscious tips
Despite high levels of rain and snowfall in late 2021, we need more rainy months to overcome the drought. We ask that you remain vigilant - particularly around outdoor water use. Review these tips to avoid water waste and protect our local water supply.
- Prevent irrigation overspray onto hardscapes.
- Water plants between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m. to reduce evaporation.
- Use a broom to clean pavement instead of a hose.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, shaving, or washing dishes.
- Operate your clothes washer and dishwasher with full loads.
- Repair or immediately report plumbing fixture leaks.
- Replace inefficient toilets, urinals, and washing machines.
- Use water-efficient showerheads and aerators, which are available for free from the City of Hayward.
Additional recommended water-saving measures can be found at https://www.hayward-ca.gov/your-environment/green-your-life/conserve-water. To take advantage of the City’s water conservation rebate programs, like the lawn conversion rebate program and the rain barrel rebate program, visit https://www.hayward-ca.gov/water-conservation.