Get Around Town
If everyone took an alternative transportation mode just once a week, we would almost eliminate traffic in the Bay Area. Let us know how we can help you make that pledge.
Unsure about carpooling or don't know where to start? There are great new carpooling apps that make it easier to find the right carpooling group or service. 511's Carpooling website offers wide range or programs to help Bay Area residents carpool for all their communting needs.
Biking around Hayward
Biking to your errands, weekend events, or work is beneficial for your health, reduces roadway congestion, and decreases greenhouse gas emissions. The Hayward General Plan adopted on July 1, 2014 aims to implement the Bicycle Master Plan and general promotion of biking around the city. Hayward also created a Bicycle Master Plan in 2007 which provides a long-term vision and direction for bicycle transportation and recreation and is currently finalizing a 2020 update.
- Bike Rodeo - Hayward held its first Bike Rodeo in 2015 as a collaborative event between the City, the Hayward Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown Business Improvement Area, Kaiser Permanente, Bike East Bay, and other local organizations.
- Bike East Bay - Bike East Bay provides resources on urban biking tips, local bike shops, and detailed bike maps that show recommended routes, off-road trails, potential hazards, and more. Visit their site to take advantage of the wealth of information for bicyclists, by bicyclists!
- Bike to Work Day - Bike to Work Day was a huge success in 2019, and we look forward to gearing up the celebration of biking to work in 2020.
- Electric Vehicles - Replacing you gas-powered vehicle with an Electric Vehicle is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, save money, and keep Hayward's air clean. Bay Area residents have access to a wide range of resources and programs that make owning or leasing an electric vehicle conveient and affordable.
- Map of EV charging and hydrogen fueling locations - check out the Alternative Fuels Station Locator. Find out more helpful information and tools on reducing petroleum consumption through the Alternative Fuels Data Center.
- The Plug-in Electric Vehicle Resource Center provides in-depth information on PEV makes and models, costs, incentives, charging, and safety.
- Hydrogen fuel cell cars are zero emission vehicles that run on compressed hydrogen gas. Hayward will soon be home to a hydrogen fueling station.
- Reduce Idling - Even if you don't drive a clean vehicle, there are things you can do to significantly reduce the greenhouse gases that your car emits into the atmosphere. For example, by turning your engine off instead of idling when you plan to be stationary for longer than one minute, you can have a big impact on your community's air quality. The Idle Free Bay Area initiative, which the City of Hayward joined in 2018, can provide further details about this issue.