Encroachment Permit (Minor and Major)
Updated: April 26, 2023
An Encroachment Permit is required to perform work within the Hayward public right-of-way (PROW) including but not limited to public streets and sidewalks. Depending on the area, duration or scope of work, a Minor or Major Encroachment Permit may be required.
Submitting an Application:
- Contact the Development Services Engineer: Contact the Development Services Engineer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (510) 583-4212 to determine the requirements and submittal materials. Please include the project address(es) and a detailed description of your project.
- Register for an e-Permit Portal account: You must be a registered user of the Hayward e-Permit Portal before you can submit your application. Learn more about how to register on our e-Permit Portal help page.
- Apply for your Plan Type: Using the e-Permit Portal, apply for your Plan by completing the online application and attaching the required submittal materials. Learn more about how to apply for a Plan on our e-Permit Portal help page.
Required Submittal Materials:
The submittal items below are required for this project type. Please note additional submittal items may be required depending on the project scope.
- Plans: Plans that accurately show and quantify the scope of work. Plans shall be legible and include references to the City Standard Detail. (See City Standard Details may be found in the handout).
- Traffic Control Plan: Plan shall show configuration(s) of the traffic control measures to be deployed to maintain safety for both the public and contractor(s) consistent with the current California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CAMUTCD). If necessary, the plans shall also include dectour plans. This is only required for applications which close a sidewalk or travel lane.
- Certificate of Insurance: Contractor must provide a certificate of insurance that includes the following minimum coverage and requirements:
- $1,000,000 Commercial General Liability Coverage
- $1,000,000 Automobile Liability Coverage
- $1,000,000 Workers' Compensation Coverage
- Certificate shall state that "The City of Hayward, its officials, employees, agents, and contractors" are covered as additional insureds
- Valid City of Hayward Business License: For more information, please visit this webpage.
- Valid Contractor License: To verfy type of contractor license and current status, visit this webpage. See Below for more information.
Applicants will be notified by email or can login to the e-Permit Portal for updates on their application. Encroachment Permits typically take five to ten business days to process. Encroachment Permits requiring traffic control require fifteen business days for initial review. Estimated processing times do not include the time needed by the applicant to revise and resubmit their application.
After submitting your application through the e-Permits Portal, staff will reach out to coordinate payment. The fee for a Minor Encroachment Permit is approximately $752. The actual fee is determined based on the scope of work and will be confirmed during permit review. The intial application deposit for a Major Encroachment Permit is $4,000. If the cost to process the application exceeds this deposit, the applicant or owner must cover the cost. If the cost ends up being less than the deposit, the difference is refunded.