Step-by-step videos and how-to documents in one convenient location!



Temporary Sign Permit

Updated: Dec. 5, 2022

A Temporary Sign Permit is required to display any promotional, grand opening or temporary signs. Temporary Sign Permits require Planning Director approval and compliance with HMC 10-7.600.

Submitting an Application:

  1. Contact a City of Hayward Planner: Contact a planner by emailing or calling (510) 583-4216 to determine the submittal materials. Please include the project address and a detailed description of your project
  2. Register for an e-Permit Portal account: You must be a registered user of the Hayward e-Permit Portal before you can submit your application. Learn more about how to register on our e-Permit Portal help page.
  3. Apply for your Plan Type: Using the e-Permit Portal, apply for your Plan by completing the online application and attaching the required submittal materials. Learn more about how to apply for a Plan on our e-Permit Portal help page.

Required Submittal Materials:

The submittal items below are required for this project type. Please note additional submittal items may be required depending on the project scope. 

  • Sign Plans: A site plan (indicating quantity and location of signs) and drawings showing sign design ( including colors, materials, hardware and size).

Project Review:

Applicants will be notified by email or can login to the e-Permit Portal for updates on their application. Temporary Sign Permits typically take one month to process. Estimated processing times do not include the time needed by the applicant to revise and resubmit their application.

Paying Fees:

After submitting your application through the e-Permits Portal, the applicant will be promoted to pay the associated fees. The initial application fee for a Temporary Sign Permit is $300 (Fee +Deposit). Once the sign is removed, the $200 deposit will be refunded.

Is this available in the e-Permit Portal: