Green Your Commute
There are interesting new carpooling apps that will help your employees find the right carpooling group or service. 511's Carpooling website offers programs to help incorperate carpooling into all of your commutes.
Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program
As of September 30, 2014, Bay area employers with 50 or more full-time employees must offer one the four below commuter benefits to their employees. To learn more, visit the website or see the Bay Area Commuter Benefit Program Employer Guide.
- Option 1- Allow employees to exclude their transit or vanpool costs from taxable income, to the maximum amount, as allowed by federal law (currently $130 per month).
- Option 2 - Employer-provided transit subsidy (or transit pass) or vanpool subsidy up to $75 per month.
- Option 3 - Employer-provided free or low cost bus, shuttle or vanpool service operated by or for the employer.
- Option 4 - An alternative employer-provided commuter benefit that is as effective as in reducing single occupant vehicles as Options 1-3.
Electricfy Your Commute
Replacing your gas-powered vehicle with an Electric Vehicle is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, save money, and keep Hayward's air clean. Bay Area residents have access to resources and programs that make owning or leasing an electric vehicle convenient and affordable.
Hayward Transit Agencies
- AC Transit Bus Service
- Downtown BART Station
- South Hayward BART Station
- Amtrak Train Service
- Greyhound Bus Service
Bike Commuting in Hayward
- Biking to work can be the beneficial for your health, can help reduce roadway congestion, and decrease greenhouse gas emissions. The Hayward General Plan adopted on July 1, 2014 aims to implement the Bicycle Master Plan and general promotion of biking around the city. Hayward also created a Bicycle Master Plan in 2007 which provides a long-term vision and direction for bicycle transportation and recreation and is currently finalizing updates to this plan for 2020.
- Bike East Bay provides resources on urban biking tips, local bike shops, and detailed bike maps that show recommended routes, off-road trails, potential hazards, and more. Visit their site to take advantage of the wealth of information for bicyclists, by bicyclists!
- Bike to Work Day was a huge success in 2019, and we look forward to gearing up the celebration of biking to work in 2020.