Covid-19 Rental Housing Relief Program
- Funds will be awarded on a first-come-first served basis upon receipt of a complete application form from eligible tenant.
- To preserve housing stability for as many people as possible, rental assistance is limited to the amount necessary to bridge the gap between what the tenant can pay and the actual rent payment not to exceed $2,500.
To qualify for assistance under this program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hayward resident
- Be income eligible:
- Very low-income tenants (up to 50% AMI) OR
- Low income (up to 80% AMI) with high rent burden (30% or higher).
- Have been unable to pay full rent because they experienced and can demonstrate hardship resulting from COVID-19 in one or more of the following ways (with flexibility regarding other experiences not listed):
- Loss of or reduction in employment or wages
- Increased medical or childcare costs
- Loss of childcare
- Proof of economic impact can include:
- Termination notice
- Signed letter from employer explaining the change in financial circumstances
- Unemployment award letter o Payroll check or pay stubs
- Bank statements
- Medical bills
- Self-certification of inability to pay rent
Household income limits are:
The following tenants/landlords are ineligible to participate in the Program:
- Tenants that have received assistance in another Rental Assistance Program for April and May Rent
- Applicants that do not meet the eligibility criteria.
- Applicants that have the means to pay rent.
- Applicants that fail to complete the application
The City will bridge the gap between what the tenant can afford and the tenant’s actual rent not to exceed a one-time grant payment of $2,500 per household.
- Past-due April and/or May rent is eligible for assistance
- Funds will be dispersed directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant
- Tenant must request a W-9 form from the landlord, which must be submitted to BACS before release of funds
- There are no requirements for repayment of grants from this program
- Applicant to gather the following documentation:
- Valid ID (any photo identification including name, date of birth, etc.)
- Current lease agreement or documentation of rent paid
- Documentation of income and income loss (such as paycheck stubs showing difference in amounts; application or screenshot to Unemployment Department; two bank statements showing difference, Layoff Letter, etc.)
- Proof of housing crisis (such as documentation certifying tenant is behind on payments, unable to pay rent, etc.). If the tenant does not have this, they will need to certify/attest they have a bona fide housing crisis and/or do not have the ability to pay the next months’ rent.
- W9 from Landlord / Property Owner (BACS can provide a copy of the form). Tenants must request a copy of the W-9 from their landlords. Landlords may submit to the tenants or to BACS directly.
- Applicant completes online-application: https://housing.bayareacs.org/
- BACS will review application to determine if the applicant meets the eligibility requirements.
- BACS will notify tenant if they qualify.
- BACS will pay rent directly to the landlords.
- BACS will provide tenant with documentation of rent paid to landlords for tenant records
- To apply, visit https://housing.bayareacs.org/
- For questions about the program, contact BACS at 510-850-6492 or the City of Hayward Housing Division at 510-583-4454