Water Wise Landscaping
Free Compost Giveaways
Every Spring and Fall, the City, in partnership with Waste Management, gives away free bags of compost. All Hayward residents are eligible.
Sign up for The Leaflet to be notified of our next compost giveaway!
The Bay Area Water Supply and Conservation Agency (BAWSCA) hosts free classes and hands-on workshops for members of the Hayward community, covering a wide range of Bay friendly landscaping topics such as:
- Sustainable Landscaping
- Alternatives to Lawns
- Habitat Gardening
- Edible Landscaping
- Water Efficient Irrigation Practices
- Parent/Child Gardening Workshops
- And More!
Check out the BAWSCA website to see their library of past class recordings, and for information on upcoming classes.
Sign up for The Leaflet to be notified of upcoming classes!
Lawn Conversion Rebate Program
Did you know that Hayward residents can receive up to $0.75 per square foot of lawn converted to drought-tolerant landscaping? Applicants must receive pre-approval in advance before beginning work.
Visit our Water Conservation page to learn more and apply.
Other Sustainable Landscaping Resources:
- UC Master Gardener Program of Alameda County
- Lawn to Garden (Alameda County StopWaste)
- Bay Area Garden Planner - California Native Plant Society
- Bay Area Gardening - For Tips on Watering, Sample Garden Photos, and Plant Lists
- Suggested Water Efficient Plants - City of Hayward Landscape Guidelines for Single-Family Development
- Creating Water-Conserving Gardens for your Home
- Where to Buy Native Plants and Seeds
- ReScape California