Aboveground Storage Tanks (AST)
Approval is granted only if the Fire Marshal finds that the aboveground tank would not pose a danger to the environment, the neighboring properties, and the health, safety and welfare of the community. To get approval:
- Submit a written Alternate Means of Protection Request to the Fire Marshal;
- Explain how the proposed aboveground storage tank installation addresses concerns for public and environmental health and safety;
- Include a Site Plan showing the proposed location for the tank and technical descriptions of the tank and other related equipment.
Alternate Means of Protection
If practical difficulties prohibit the use of materials and methods prescribed in the Hayward Fire Code, the Fire Marshal may approve the use of alternate means of protection in the design, use or operation of a structure or equipment.
Approval is granted only if the Fire Marshal finds that the proposed alternate means of protection shall provide, at least, an equivalent quality, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safety as those intended in the Hayward Fire Code.
- Completion of a Fire Department Permit Application
- A written request for approval that describes clearly the practical difficulties encountered or anticipated and explains how the proposed alternate means of protection secure public safety and meet the spirit and intent of the Hayward Fire Code;
- Submittal of the written request, the completed Fire Department Permit Application, and a check for the appropriate fees for the review of your proposal to:
777 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541-5007
For more information, please contact 510.583.4900.