Utilities & Environmental Services
Welcome. Our mission is to provide excellent utility services to Hayward customers and to lead the City's sustainability efforts. Green and sustainable practices are a top priority for Hayward's City Council and we strive to incorporate environmental stewardship in all aspects of our work.
Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
Water - Our team manages the procurement, transmission, and distribution of your water supply and oversees the City's water conservation programs. Learn more about how water flows from the snow-capped mountains of Yosemite to your tap.
Sewer Collection - Our team is responsible for maintaining Hayward's network of sewer collection pipelines and wastewater lift stations. Learn more about where your wastewater goes after you wash, shower, and flush.
Wastewater Treatment - Our team uses biological and environmentally friendly processes to clean Hayward's wastewater before discharging it into the bay or reusing it for industrial purposes. We use biogas created in this process to power City facilities! Learn more about the treatment process.
Solid Waste and Recycling - Our team manages the City's contract with Waste Management of Alameda County and Tri-CED Recycling. Our goal is to minimize the amount of trash that goes to the landfill by making it easy to reduce, reuse, recycle, and rot. Learn more about the four R’s.
Sustainability - Our team implements the City's Climate Action Plan and provides staff support to the Council Sustainability Committee. Learn more about Hayward's Climate Action Plan, renewable energy, and energy efficiency programs.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 Acterra Award for leadership in green initiatives and environmental sustainability
- 2015 USEPA Green Power Leadership Award for on-site green power generation at the Water Pollution Control Facility
- 2015 Beacon Award for our work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save energy
- 2015 California Water Environment Association - SF BAY Section Sewer Collection System of the Year for excellence in preventative maintenance, training, compliance, and safety
- 2015 California Water Environment Association - SF Bay Section Wastewater Treatment Plant of the Year for excellence in compliance, innovative practices, and cost-effectiveness