Report illegal home occupation
Home occupations are any occupation or use conducted within the living area of a home which use is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the home for dwelling purposes and does not change the residential character of the property. The City of Hayward Municipal code provides for regulations pertaining to home occupation. The following list is a summary of restrictions for home occupations:
- Does not display or sell any commodities except those produced on the premises
- Does not use any accessory building, garage, yard space, or activity outside of the dwelling unit;
- Does not generate a character and volume of vehicular traffic not normally associated with residential use;
- Does not involve the use of more than 10 percent or more than 200 square feet of floor area of the dwelling unit, whichever is less;
- Does not display signs or other matter which would indicate a business is operating within the home;
- Does not allow for more than two customers/clients to visit the home each day and customers/clients are limited to visiting the house between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.;
- No repair work is permitted;
- Where at least one parking stall is available for guest parking either in the driveway or on the street in front of the residence; if customers/clients visit the premises;
- Where no employees, other than residents of the home, come to or work from the home; and
- Which requires all applicable building and fire codes to be met.
The Code Enforcement Division works in partnership with the community to ensure all properties throughout the City are kept in good condition and in compliance with adopted laws and zoning regulations. Community conditions are primarily regulated through the City's Community Preservation and Improvement Ordinance: Hayward Municipal Code 5.7.00 as well as the City Municipal Code.
If you are concerned about a property condition related to home occupation contact Code Enforcement at 510.583.4143.
Report an illegal home occupation below: